Netanyahu’s intense conflict with the generals over the cease-fire in Gaza

Last Updated on July 3, 2024 8:21 am

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s fierce conflict with top Israeli army (IDF) leaders over the ongoing war in Gaza has become evident.

According to a New York Times report, top IDF generals want a cease-fire in Gaza at any price. Even if the valley is ruled by Hamas.

However, Netanyahu’s position is completely opposite. He says, there will be no ceasefire. The Times of Israel reported this news in a report.

The US media New York Times, citing unnamed sources, said in a report that Israel’s military leadership wants a ceasefire in Gaza.

Hamas attacked Israel on October 7. In addition, more than two hundred people were taken hostage to Gaza. In response, Israel launched a military invasion of Gaza. Since then, the war has continued for more than eight months.

The Gaza Strip has been virtually destroyed by the Israeli occupation. 38 thousand innocent and unarmed Palestinians have been killed so far. Most of them are women and children. The number of injured is 88 thousand.

A seven-day ceasefire was signed last November. At that time, Hamas released 110 Israeli hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners. Negotiations on a second ceasefire have continued since then, but have not yet seen the light of day.

Meanwhile the war was about to enter its ninth month. The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) have lost at least 674 soldiers in this war so far. About 120 Israelis are still being held hostage by Hamas.

Stay away, Hamas fighters have returned to enclaves in Gaza that Israeli forces claimed were ‘enemy-free’. Netanyahu has not yet said publicly whether Israel will occupy Gaza after the war or return the territory to the Palestinian Authority.

The Israeli army’s supply of artillery shells is also decreasing. On the other hand, the fear of an all-out war with Hezbollah in Lebanon is increasing. In such a situation, the generals of the Israeli army are asking for an effective ceasefire in Gaza.

The New York Times reported on Monday (July 1) that 30 senior generals at Israel’s General Staff Forum want Netanyahu to reach a ceasefire with Hamas. Even in that case, if the ruling power is to be kept in the hands of Hamas.

The report cited six current Israeli army officers and former security officials. However, their names have not been disclosed.

Top generals believe a ceasefire is the best way to free the hostages from Hamas, they said. In addition, it is necessary to increase the stockpile of weapons and ammunition before a possible war with Hezbollah in Lebanon.

However, Netanyahu reacted angrily to the report from an ‘unknown source’. In a statement after the publication of the New York Times report, he said, keeping Hamas in power will not end the war in Gaza.

He said, ‘I don’t know who the unknown parties are. But here I make it unequivocally clear: this will not happen.’ He added, we will end this war only after achieving all the goals of eliminating Hamas and freeing the hostages.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *